When your project goes wrong because you’re dependent on another team, whose “fault” is it really?
- When did you identify the risk?
- What did you do to mitigate it?
- What relationship did you build with the team you’re dependent on?
When did you start really collaborating to resolve the dependency?
Too often we throw our problems over the wall and blame the people that aren’t there to catch it for our own laziness.
- Are we too lazy?
- Are we too busy? (what else is more important?)
- Are we secretly looking for someone to take ownership of our problem?
- Are we cynically looking for a scapegoat?
- Are we just incompetent?
Think about government lobbyists – they spend their entire time fighting for what they need to achieve…
If something is that important to the success of your goals, why aren’t you sat next to the people you need it from making sure it’s on the top of their priority list too?
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN COLLABORATION FAILURES